Hazards in the Kitchen


Foods:

Many foods that are perfectly safe for humans could be harmful or potentially deadly to dogs and cats. To be safe, keep the following food items out of your pet’s menu:

 Coffee grounds

  • Grapes/raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Onions
  • Yeast dough
  • Tea
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Alcohol
  • Fatty foods
  • Salt
  • Avocado
  • Garlic
  • Chewing gum, candy and breath fresheners containing xylitol
  • Always keep garbage out of a pet’s reach, as rotting food contains molds and bacteria that could produce food poisoning.

Cleaning Products
Many household cleaners can be used safely around cats and dogs. However, the key to safe use lies in reading and following product directions for proper use and storage.
For instance, if the label states “Keep pets and children away from area until dry,” follow those directions to prevent possible health risks. Products containing bleach can safely disinfect many household surfaces when used properly, but can cause stomach upset, drooling, vomiting or diarrhea, severe burns if swallowed and respiratory tract irritation can occur if inhaled in a high enough concentration. In addition, skin contact with concentrated solutions may produce serious chemical burns. Some detergents can produce a similar reaction, and cats can be particularly sensitive to certain ingredients such as phenols(also known as carbolic acid).
As a general rule, store all cleaning products in a secure cabinet out of the reach of pets and keep them in their original packaging, or in a clearly labeled and tightly sealed container.

Insecticides/Rodenticides
As with household cleaners, read and follow label instructions before using any type of pesticide in your pet’s environment. For example, flea and tick products labeled “for use on dogs only” should not be applied to cats or other species, as serious or even life-threatening problems could result. Always consult with your veterinarian about the safe use of these products for your pet.

If a pet ingests rat or mouse poison, potentially serious or even life-threatening illness can result; therefore, when using any rodenticide, it is important to place the poison in areas completely inaccessible to pets.

LaAnimalServices.com - 888-452-7381